Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Podcasts


Maybe it's a generational thing but I'm not particularly interested in podcasts. I do listen to some on NPR but I don't add them to my blog or download them to my iPod 'cause I want to pick and choose what I want to hear. My iGoogle and My Yahoo pages are set up to show by title the most recent NPR podcasts, which is an easy way for this visual learner to decide if I want to listen. For example, I usually love Fresh Air with Terry Gross but I'm not interested in every single interview she does; I am a picky listener.

That said, I can see where there is a niche market for themed podcasts, from RVers to book enthusiasts. But as far as my own interests are concerned the only podcasts I'd be interested in listening to on a regular basis are Car Talk and This American Life.

I don't think podcasts are the best way for libraries to communicate with the public unless it's to act as a link to book readings.

1 comment:

Dan Muzyka said...

Well, as an audiobook enthusiast I have to say that certain fiction podcasts, such as EscapePod, PodCastle, and PseudoPod, are a very convenient way to get audio fiction onto one's iPod regularly without having to copy from a CD or buy one from Audible. The production quality is not always as professional as that of audiobooks, but it is often quite good, and I find these podcasts can introduce me to new authors to whom I might not otherwise be exposed.