Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Twitter


Twitter...I don't get it. Trying out Twitter, 'playing' with it, adding contacts, has demonstrated one big component of my personality - I am antisocial. I couldn't think of anyone with whom I wanted to share that much of my life. I did accidently participate in my first IM (instant message) and that was pretty cool, even if my son was eventually sorry he acknowledge being online since it gave me the opportunity to quiz him about his life - he loves it when I do that. But he was too polite to totally ignore me (though I could tell that his responses were the written equivalent of "Mmhmm...yeah...oh...ok." God bless him.)

My Twitter username is patob1495. I'm so excited that I have another username to memorize!! Thank God I have a razor sharp memory. Looking back on my Twitter posts I realize that under ordinary circumstances I would never have thrown those posts out there for just anyone to read - I would direct it to specific people.

Libraries could use Twitter in place of general emails about needing materials for projects (paper towel tubes, trashed CDs, bubble wrap). It would cut down on emails. I personally can't see using Twitter because it's usefulness is in it's immediacy and I don't have a cell phone that can receive Twitter (mine is VERY basic - for emergencies). So - I'm a twit about Twitter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I was actually very excited to get your Twitter message! It was the first time I've ever posted to Twitter...and now I'm tempted to keep using it! The main problem is that my phone doesn't store very many text messages before I have to start deleting old ones to make room for new ones. And you're right, Twitter is most valuable for its immediacy, so SMS (cell phone text messages) is probably the most convenient way to interact with it.

At least with Twitter you can also post your tweets to other web sites...so I've heard, anyway. May I interview you about Twitter for my Web 2.0 Exposed Show?

Pat at Main said...

Sure, interview me. My people will get with your people.